Mother of the Groom Speech
The last few days seem to pass like a blur and it wasn’t long ago when you held your son firmly in your grasp. But his wedding day is fast approaching and you have been asked by your son to deliver a mother of the groom speech. This is certainly a unique opportunity to congratulate your son and welcoming a new daughter to the family.
Your speech is certainly more valuable compared to any gift you could give. It is a testament to your continuing love for your son and his bride. It also shows approval and support for their union. Crafting a mother of the groom speech may seem simple. But for those who had the opportunity to deliver a mother of the groom speech, writing a speech which encompasses your feelings and emotions in a few paragraphs could be overwhelming.
- The simplest way to start your speech is by introducing yourself to the guest. Although small weddings whose guests are only composed of close friends and family, bigger weddings may mean guests whose ties only includes those of the bride and groom. Introduce yourself as the mother of the groom and the audience will have an easier time relating with your stories.
- After introducing yourself, thank everybody who has made this wedding a success. Acknowledge the presence of some very special people which includes relatives, sponsors or close friends. Thank them for sharing this day and how their presence has made it a day to remember. This makes them feel they are part of the wedding and not just guests waiting to be entertained. Be careful not to spend too much time on this part.
- After acknowledging the presence of important people present at the wedding, it is now time to strengthen the ties between you, the bride and her family. Make special mention of how happy you are to know that your son has chosen such a beautiful family.
- Now it is time to talk about how special your son truly is. This is what makes your speech truly special. All the other speakers may share similar stories but being the mother of the groom gives you a unique perspective into the groom’s life.
It’s time to walk down memory lane and share special moments with your son to the bride and guests. You could go the sentimental route or share funny memories to lighten the mood. This is information that you and your son share that even her bride would be surprised to know. Just don’t go overboard and you’ll end up embarrassing him in from of the bride and guests.
- Congratulate the couple on their new life. Wish them all the best and tell them that you’ll always be there when they need you. Pass on some wisdom and share your own experiences.
- Close your speech by thanking everybody again for gracing the wedding. You could also use a quote or a light joke to lighten the mood after a dramatic speech.
- Introduce the next speaker or propose a toast and remind everybody to have a wonderful time.
Simple tips to remember:
If you’ve had a couple of drinks, be sure you’ve mellowed down before giving a speech. Delivering a mother of the groom speech does not prevent you from having a good time. Being calm and relaxed before you begin you speech, will shine through in your delivery.
Make your speech simple and short. 3 to 5 minutes is ideal and if you’re not sure, time your speech when practicing. The quality of a speech does not depend on its length. It is the content that makes it special.
One way to reduce the stress of giving the speech is by developing your confidence by constantly practicing your speech. This eliminates surprises and helps you deliver a speech that sounds more natural and sincere. Rather than constantly groping for words, you could also make a simple note or an outline as a guide.